Thursday, April 15

Bag It.

I love drawstring bags. L-O-V-E them. I use them for anything and everything - shoes, wine bottles, gifts. lingerie bags, toys, swimming bags, backpacks and for gift giving. Basically they are easy and great to keep stuff together. I mentioned here about the pile of 3D glasses on my kitchen bench - so here is what I did- made a drawstring bag. I should even be able to remember what is in it! I got a bit creative with this one as I thought we could take it to movies, so I wanted space for glasses and lollies! I didn't want the glasses to get scratched, so each got their own polar fleece pocket. Heres how:(Remember I wanted these off the bench - desparately - so much so I dont think there is a straight line here - but it does the job) I cut out the fabric based on my glasses. There are two pieces of the yellow fleece which is long enough to wrap up to cover the glasses. The cotton fabric is one long piece, folded at the bottom which is slighltly bigger than the finished size of the fleece. Next step was to create the individual pockets for the glasses. This was simply a line of straight(ish) stitch at approximately thirds. Then I joined the fleece to the top edges of the cotton. I put right sides together before I sewed so that the pockets will be accessible inside the bag.




At this point it is time for some finishing off. I hem the top inch of each fabric on the side seam so that I can put the drawstring throught. Once this is done on each edge (four times) Then I create the pocket for the drawstring by sewing a seam about two centimetres from the top edge - the same way on both sides. (Here is a good time to trim some threads - someone should remind me)

Then I sewed up the side seams ensuring I caught both pieces of cotton and fleece. The seams are visible on the inside because I treated the fleece like it was the wrong side of the fabric. You can see from this shot the individual pockets. All to do now is thread in the ribbon or cord and c'est finis. (I used ribbon which is double the width of the bag open and I choose to thread two cords - one from each direction which creates two handles but a tighter more secure closure)

No comments:

Post a Comment