Wednesday, June 3

Signing off

Quietly and with the assistance of a morphine shot, Nan's 96 years on earth ended today. I believe she is in a better place. While we are sad, we are also relieved that the prison her mind had put her in is over. We remember her as she used to be. The woman who had no trouble getting a boyfriend, who was able to lie about her age not only to her husband and children, but also to colleagues and friends later in life. I remember celebrating her 80th birthday and her friend saying "I can't believe you are 70!"
She always looked good and took pride in her appearance. Thats why seeing her with lank white unwashed hair and without teeth was so incredible hard to see.
I remember her playing the piano so excitedly she almost danced off the little seat. My favorite was Puppet on a String.
Her name was Mae West and she lived up to that reputation. She divorced my Grandpa when mum was married and I alway thought of her boyfriend Howard as her husband. After his death she was fortunate to have a serious relationship with another man Hans. Can you imagine being in you late 70's and picking up a man in the fish and chip shop. This was Nan. Infact even when she first went into care, in her late 80's she still had boyfriends. Probably the only problem was remembering who they were.
While I make light of it, we remember the good things and good times. She lived a long fun filled life and for that we are thankful.

1 comment:

  1. i remeber the stories you used to tell us at school. i'm glad her suffering has ended and that she is in a better place. may you remember her for who she was and keep smiling at the memories. my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete