Tuesday, July 21

TuTu How Tu



Chatting with the girls at knitting last night, the topic got onto making tutus. It was all a bit confusing so I have done some high tech instructions here. (2 pages) As the mother of three boys, this is a skill I am more than happy to share because they aren't really that keen on tutus round here. While I think I have covered it all in the instructions here is a basic outline.

Materials - 3 m length of net or tulle or similar
3 m length of wide ribbon or satin binding
7o cm of corded elastic
A toggle (which holds both ends of elastic and makes skirt waist adjustable)- sorry none in pictures.
I am working with net here. Usually when you get netting it is about 150 cm wide. Cut it in half lengthwise giveing you 2 strips about 75 cm wide and 3m long. You can actually make 2 skirts which look like mine (2 layers), or you can double the layers to have 4 thicknesses of net.
Here I would usually fold the net in half but I had already cut this so I am working with two separate 37cm wide pieces. The only reason I suggest folding the fabric is it is quicker, and the raw edge of the net can be quite pointy and rough around the waist. But if you like to cut, go for it. I also like to edge the fabric - I use the overlocker to do a rolled hem, but you don't have to. Tulle and net dont fray, but if you'd like you could do a zig zag stitch in a contrast or even add some ribbon or trim.
The waistband is the 3m of ribbon folded in half. I press this with a cool iron to get a crease.


Below is the folded elastic being pinned to the folded edge of the net. You can see there is a 'pocket' at the top edge of the ribbon. This is where you thread through the elastic. I have also chosen to sew up the end seams and I do this before I put the folded ribbon on. Again you don't have to as it gathers up and this opening disappears.

Once you are sure that all of the layers have been caught by the pins, you can sew the ribbon to the skirt. You may wish to do decorative stitching or extra rows of stitching. I just do one close to the edge of the ribbon.

The final step is to thread the elastic through the ribbon 'pocket'. I always wrap the end of the elastic with tape to help it through and use a safety pin to navigate the way. The safety pin is easier to feel as you thread through the pocket and catch through the elastic.

Once you have got right through the length of skirt, the elastic will gather your skirt. Simply slip the toggles onto the ends of elastic and adjust the waist measurement to suit. I tie knots in the end of the elastic to prevent the whole thing coming undone, but you could sew beads or some kind of ornaments to the ends if you felt like it.

And my beautiful little boy kindly posing for his mum - what a little precious. Not the footwork - and last piece of missing skirting!!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Nic! A link on Jo's blog led me here. Great post - your son models the gorgeous tutu beautifully. thanks for the tips. Julia x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The things we do to our sons! I have a lovely photo of Andrew at age 3 in a blue number (dressed by his sisters) and a pink bow. Much better than the cat dressed in a baby dress and put in the pram!!!!

    Gill (Rob and Jo's mum)

    ReplyDelete