Monday, November 30

Impromptu Reading



Alexander and I have been reading and really enjoying the Famous Five. We have just finished our third book and he was anxious for another one. I bought a 10 pack last year on special and have hidden them so they just come out one at a time.




(As an aside- this is the first time I have read these books, and as a parent I am astounded at the amount of time Anne, Julian and Dicks mother and father let them stay at their Aunt and Uncles house - every holiday so far for two years and they go to boarding school. Seems weird to me, but they are involved in an unnatural amount of adventures - usually due to a bad decision by Uncle Quentin - but I digress)




Today I had the next book and decided to make a bit of a game of it. I wrote out 20 notes which created a treasure hunt for the book. Each one directed him to the next note - usually at the opposite end of the house or garden. We had a great time and the anticipation built with every note (as he was unaware there were 20). The best thing was he was reading each note - and excitedly looking for the next one. I didn't hear a moan or a whinge about it - it was really natural and he wanted to know what they said and really tried. The best reward was finding the book and sharing that special time together reading it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, now THAT is an inspired notion! I'm getting my kids to work a bit harder for some reading time - starting now!

    ReplyDelete