Monday, December 7

our fairy door

So this is our fairy door. Its sits on the wall in a little corner of the hallway. The boys can often walk past it and not even notice, but then sometimes there is some glitter and other times there are even little notes.
Here is how I did it. While I had intended to actually make the door, I even bought balsa wood for it, that went in the too hard basket and I bought a dolls house door that is 1/12th actual size.
The door comes as raw basla wood and I got it from The Dolls House in Riversdale Road in Camberwell or you can buy on line via the link. The door is hinged and opens inwards, which for a fairy door is great, because the concept is that only the fairies using their pixie dust, can open the door. I also bought door handles and numbers in gold which jazz it up that bit.
I gave the doors an undercoat, then painted them in normal acrylic and finished them off with a gloss top coat. The reverse side of the door I painted in silver with glitter on it - to make it a bit more mystical, but also it is against the wall so you don't actually see it.
Once painted, the door is ready to find a home. You could rest it againt a bookshelf or a wall, but with curious toddlers, I was keen to connect it properly. I used 3M's wall hanger range, which is double sided and doesn't damage the walls. I cut them to size and simply pressed it to the wall.
We wrote our fairy a card and left the key hanging on the door. When the fairies moved in they took the key and left a sprinkling of fairy dust. Now we use this place to communicate with them, who are always around even though we cant see them....

1 comment:

  1. i love it, i'm going to make one too. what a lovely little bit of daily magic

    ReplyDelete