Saturday, December 4

The boy who lives under the stairs

A while back Alexander and I made a deal. If he could read a certain set of books then he could have a Harry Potter book.
Harry Potter is a little bit of an unknown quantity around here. I have never read the books nor seen a movie. (I know, it is really hard and there is a whole other world out there!) I thought it would be a nice thing to share with my children - low and behold who are all boys!
There are lots of kids at school who talk about Harry but until now Xander has just had to go along with whatever they are saying. I also kept the stories away from him because I want him to be old enough to understand them. The problem that I face is that I don't have Ms JK pacing the books over the years for me. They are all written and all out there - movies etc. We could launch in and do the whole lot back to back, but from what I understand - the kids grow up and the stories grow up with them?? I don't know if book 6 would be suitable for a 6 year old....
Anyway, what I do know is that Harry is 10 in the first book, and that it was really written for children in the first instance so I was prepared to go with this as a starting point and worry about the rest later.
The other night Xander came out and read a book to me. He read it really well and easily - he is actually progressed so far past this book, that I asked him why he was reading this book. "To get Harry Potter" was his honest reply. I coudn't refuse and we had made a deal - so we ordered it on line and it arrived within a week to our door.
I am so excited that my little boy is excited about reading. He was pacing, checking the letter box and when the package came - he waited to open it with me - and then hugged me and called me the best mum ever! How awesome is that - over a book.
Now we are reading it - and it is new to both of us. We are stealing time away together to find out what is happening. It is our own secret little club.

1 comment:

  1. That is SO lovely. Discovering Harry Potter together. Shared excitement. What a lovely experience for you both - one you'll both remember fondly. That makes you a great mum in my books too! x

    ReplyDelete