Sunday, September 21

Creative Day 21- Fabric Painting

I have been doing a bit of fabric painting lately and I thought I would give you a bit of a tutorial on how I do it. The R above is for a cape for a present that will be revealed later. However here is how I did it.
Step 1 - Draw the image you wish paint onto some contact. Draw it on the front side so you don't need to flip your image.
Step 2- With a craft knife, cut along the areas where you will need to paint- ensure you save all of the pieces.
Step 3- The piece of stencil which is you border, remove the backing and stick it down in position.
I had decided to paint the yellow first, so I put in also stuck the R down as this was going to be red.
Step 4- Paint first colour and set aside to dry.
Step 5- Once dry, stick the remaining pieces over the areas that you have painted. In this case, I stuck down the star pieces over the yellow.

Step 6- Remove stencil for second colour. As you can see, I have now removed the R and covered all the yellow.

Step 7 - Paint second colour and set aside to dry.
When I am using the contact film, I leave it on until the stencil dries. Once it is all dry all the contact can be removed. For the image above, I drew the outline with a permanent texta. I don't know the brand of the fabric paint I use because its not on the labels - however I got it from a school supply catalog, however any fabric paint and sponge roller will do the job.

Hope this helps you - Nic

No comments:

Post a Comment