Thursday, May 7

Easy Applique

I was busy making another bag in line with my homemade present plan and I thought I would share how easy it is to do your own applique.

I create my design on computer, print it out and trace it on the matt side of freezer paper. I got this from a patchwork shop - and am not really sure where else in Australia you can get it. Why use it? It is temporarily tacky and peels off without any trouble or leaving any marks.





2. Using low heat, iron the freezer paper onto the fabric you wish to applique. It is transparent so you can line the fabric up. Once stuck, cut your design out.

















3. Once I have the design to applique (I was doing a couple at once here) I attach it onto my project - in this case a bag - using vlisofix - which is double sided sticky webbing- conceptually like fabric glue. This reduces the amount of fray the applique will have, but also stops it moving during the next step.










4. Stitch around the edge of the applique. For this project I used a small zigzag stitch. Another option is buttonhole stitch for a heavier edge, but I only wanted a soft contrast.
5. I finished off the bookbag with contrast handles and stitching. This is a basic rectangular bag, with the corners sewn in to create a base and ironed to create sides. A simple and effective way to decorate and personalise anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment