Monday, November 1

Freedom

Ahhh. That is the sound of the load being lifted from my shoulders. I have just paid all of the bills and it is such a liberating feeling, for one minute (and really that is about all it is) not to owe any one any money. You see the big squirrel is self employed and doesn't get regular payments. We can go from poor to rich overnight. Not literally, but you get what I mean.
We have been living poor - something the big squirrel really struggles with - and I mean REALLY STRUGGLES with. This man could spend money underwater! The problem is that he is not buying anything.

A prime example was taking the kids to the movies this weekend. I know we were skint, but with a free ticket and only $6 for the others it was a bargain. I made popcorn and filled the drinkbottles so there were goodies to eat that weren't going to set us back more than the movie. We were running late, so the big squirrel parked the car while I took the kids inside. On his way in, he stops and buys a lemonade! Why would you spend $3 on a lemonade knowing I had a basket full of food and drink. AND $3 for 450ml is not what I call value. Not to mention if he had opened it in the cinema, he may get a mere 50mls once my boys had sniffed it out!

As you can see from my little rant, we have very different attitudes to money. I am a saver (hence squirrel) but also having grown up with parents who are self employed, I have lived the ups and downs all my life. He has not. What worries me is now we have been paid (once again, Phew) he will go back to living 'his' high life, but I know this has to last us through til we are next getting paid. Anyone got any good training advice???

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could help but as you know the one I've got is just as bad and as yet I haven't figured out how to curb the 'spending'!

    I always do the 'do you need this' philosophy but he doesn't get that, it's all about I work hard I deserve it??

    I share your frustration but on the flip side if I buy anything he doesn't say a word.

    The only advice I can share is what Jo does, they each have their set pocket money each week and what they spend / save it on / for is their own business. Maybe see if the Big Squirrel will agree on a pocket money amount and then he can spend it on whatever he wants?

    ReplyDelete