Tuesday, September 1

Change

Photo from Flickr - flightlessXbird

Today I made it to breaking point. It has been coming for a while but today was just too much.


The morning was spent -
  • using nappy wipes to clean black texta scribble from a school library book (which works)


  • chasing a defiant child to get dressed


  • stopping the car and putting a child on the footpath because he kept getting his arms out of the car straps and refusing to put them back in


  • dealing with two screaming children in car due to other one being on footpath


  • 'footpath' child having yet another episode at the Glen, where he didn't want to be in the pram. Every old lady tried to help, but it was a fight I had to win

This was all kinda normal, but it was when I was reading Naomi's and Julia's posts and was interupted but the phone. Yes, just the school principal ringing to let me know she had had a 'meeting' with Alexander, and he was in TROUBLE - more so with me than school.


Turns out the whole school thing was a bit of an overreaction and is simple playground issues that we have been trying to deal with for a while and hopefully this has given us a new strategy, but getting that kind of call from the school was all too much.


So - I have decided to make a change. Much like Naomi drawing a line in the sand, or Julia's month of gratitude, I am making this September my month of change. Every day I am going to change something - whether it be a simple clean, declutter, finishing something or like today a change to routine.


Tonight I was in control. We had a nice dinner together at the table, did readers, bath and bed. I know it sounds simple but I was sitting on the couch at 8:30 with all the kids asleep in bed, the dishes done and things relatively tidy. The twins were asleep before 7 which is amazing around here and I have tried to approach things with a happier demeanour - which seems to be working. Lets hope the times are a changing!

3 comments:

  1. Go for it Nicola! Sometimes change can only be a good thing. I've been doing the decluttering thing...Anthony attributes it to "nesting". Whatever my motivation - it feels good. Good luck with it. J x

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds exciting! the changes that is, not the little gremlins having paddy's :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. good on you for writing about it and starting it. its sooo hard to change habitis but once the initial time is up it all gets so much easier, good luck and i cant wait to hear all about it over some coffees

    ReplyDelete