Tuesday, September 14

Getting by...

Circumstances have unfolded that have really put a spotlight on the twins. This harsh, unnatural and really unwelcome light has shown me that for the past 3 almost 4 years, I have just been getting by. I haven't been thriving, just thrashing about trying to stay above water.

Not that I feel like that every day, but raising kids is hard and I don't think we often acknowledge how hard it is - and how draining it is. We have been having speech assessments, and they are showing large areas of learning which Benji (& often Spencer) dont know. Things that I did all the time with Alexander, I have never done with them. Why? Too hard, have somewhere to be, have to do pick up, drop off, get the food, clean the floor, change the bed......

Survival has got in the way and I have lost focus. While I read books to them, it is different. I can't seem to create that one on one situation where we can sit an chat. There are always time pressures or someone else wanting or needing something.

I think it may be that I/we focus more on the older child (or they just never stop talking long enough) and those younger ones that are dragged along are expected to learn by osmosis. Some things the twins are advanced at. They are more coordinated than Alexander at the same age, and able to do more things like riding that he missed out on. But they have absolutely no idea about colours. I have known this for a while and they have the names of colours but are yet to link the two together. But they can count - because that was our focus before Alexander started school. All the time in the car we would be counting and those two little boys can count to 20, yet cant tell you which is the red light.
I did think they may be colour blind, but thanks to Dr Google we checked that and they are fine. I just need to do more. Thinking outside of the box for ways to talk about colour and keep their attention, Smarties came to mind. Food and colour - there is no better combination. The boys had to sort the colours and name them before they could be eaten. Seemed to work and with each smartie, the colour name was repeated. It wont be a quick process, but if we are all thinking about it we will remember to teach them. Their little brains are like sponges and today they are filled with colour and chocolate!


Dont worry, I am not beating myself up over it all (that was yesterday!) just trying to be proactive and get on with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment