Sunday, December 7

Not a pleasant visit




So I was updating my blog yesterday when the boys woke from a long nap. Benji was happy and normal. Spencer seemed fine however when I looked at him my heart started racing. Somehow his head had swollen and the left side of his forehead was significantly. I had no idea what had caused it, but he could walk, talk and didn't seem to be in any pain. As I was home by myself late on a Saturday afternoon, I called the ambulance and started to get the boys ready to leave. Of course mobiles being as they are - the big squirrel wasn't answering his but I got on to my parents and they were heading over to look after the kids. There is only room for one extra child in an ambulance, not two.
While Alexander was in a panic and trying to calm him down, the paramedic talked through Spencer's symptoms and suggested we did not need the ambulance rather a GP on call or a clinic visit. I was anxious to find out the cause - now a suspected insect bite - so we went to a local 24 hour clinic. The big squirrel and I sat with Spence for an hour, and paid an additional $35 to see a "GP". I have never felt so insulted in my life - Spencer looked like the elephant man, and while we were concerned - we were not irrational. It was however Saturday night and I didn't want to end up in emergency... I asked him lots of questions and he said to us "is this all you are concerned about - this bump?" He offered no treatment - not even to suggest an icepack and sent us on our way. I was not really happy with that, but thought if he is that blase we must really be warped.
Back at home he ate his dinner, and while he was a little more sedate than usual - nothing of note - but the swelling appeared to be getting worse. I called nurse on call (who know me quite well now) and they are a fabulous service. They talk through the symptoms and suggest what may occur and what to do if that does happen. She suggested an antihystemine (sp??) would reduce the swelling and stop any inflamation of his throat. The GP had not mentioned anything of the sort. Of course when I got to the chemist they had just shut - albeit a couple of minutes early.
So we soldiered on, following the advice to check on him overnight. When we woke him he could not open his left eye for swelling. So we had to call the ambulance.
They came quickly and quietly (not disturbing the other sleeping beauties) and we were off for a ride. That is pretty scary but he coped well. At monash we were seen quickly and put into a cubicle. The doctors, nurses and other staff were fantastic. My fears seemed justified when the paramedics suggested he go to hospital where he was given antihystemine - which we now have on hand! We were discharged around 1:20 am and the taxi came around 3:15. So we have a groggy swollen boy and two tired but very thankful parents.

1 comment:

  1. ohh nic
    my heart was racing just reading that. so do you know what caused it ??? ring next time and would have happily come and done something with the boys yesterday so you could have had some sleep.
    sometimes doctors really need a kick up the backside.
    hope all is ok now
    see you on the weekend.
    nay

    ReplyDelete