Monday, August 2

And a jacket

I seem to be lacking colour in my sewing at the moment. Everying is on the black and white spectrum, and nothing goes together at all. This is last nights effort. A jacket. I have to tell you this is really easy to do - no really easy. I made it in an evening when the kids went to bed - that easy. For starters there is no facing so one less piece to cut out. No collar - another piece ditched. It is princess line, so there are no darts to mark or sew, and a one piece sleeve. I have just imspected. There are 6 seams to the body, then the sleeves. Easy.

I didn't line it, again makes it easier, and there is no interfacing as there is enough body in it. I overlocked and top stitched the seams to make it neater.

I have not worked with this style of binding before but I have to tell you - easy!! It is like binding, but as it is woven, there is no extra fold. It has an obvious centre line and I sewed it on the reverse side first and then to the top to stop it having two seams on the top. I curved the neckline so that I didn't need a corner, (See I really am a lazy sewer) and it all went around in one piece.

I had a metre and a half of the fabric which I got for $10 at Darn Cheap Fabric. I used New Look Pattern 6610 in view B

Ok I hadn't done the arm trim when I took this photo, but I have it on now and it is all finished!

1 comment: