Monday, August 9

Dress up t-shirts

My boys are a bit partial to a dress up. That is probably a bit of an understatement. But as much as they love dressing up, I despise taking kids out dressed in costume. I have been seen wandering around Camberwell Market with a full suited Fireman Sam and a dinosaur trying desperately not to get his tail trodden on. A good compromise are these t-shirts. These are ones I bought from Best & Less. They were labelled $9.99 but scanned at $7- who am I to complain!! The boys will happily wear the printed variety and feel suitably dressed up.

The other thing we have is caped t-shirts. For those caped crusaders we have the cape that simply velcros on or off the t-shirt. This alleviates any choking potential of the regular cape variety, and from the front doesn't look particularly like a dress up.
The fronts of the tshirts. Batman is a printed variety that I got from Cotton On Kids some time ago. Superman is a cheap t-shirt from Kmart or Best & Less with an embroidered (machine) Superman Logo. You could add a logo using painting or even felt applique. Then we add the cape.

To make the cape use some interlock in the appropriate colour - here black for batman. I cut the shoulders based on the t-shirt. I usually fix the cape below the shoulder seam towards the back and cut the shoulders and neck of the cape to fit into this space. I do a small hem around here as it can pull a little - but it isn't madatory. To measure the cape it is best to fold the fabric and the t-shirt in half. The cape needs to be wider at the base so the kids can grab it to fly. It also works best if it is longer than the t-shirt. This is for my (big) three year olds.
For the width I add about 7 inches past the t-shirt.
For the length I add about 5 inches.
Just so you don't get into any trouble from your children (like I do) Batman has inverted scallop hem and superman is straight across the bottom. I leave the hem raw as it is best for flying.
Finally the velcro. You can see here that the cape is attached with velcro on the back of the shoulder. Here I have used grey and black velcro simply because I had it lying around. There is no real need to match. The grey velcro which is attached to the tshirt is the soft furry side of the velcro. This way if they wear the t-shirt without the cape it isn't scratchy. The sticky velcro is added to the cape (along with every piece of fluff). These shirts are in high rotation in our house and even were good for Supergirl when we had a playdate - and sadly no girl dress ups.
Enjoy





No comments:

Post a Comment