Wednesday, February 11

Guilt


You have probably heard about the devestating fires that have ravaged Victoria's beautiful country-side and communities. While we live in suburbia, such destruction and horrific loss of life has touched us all. I worry about friends who live in bushland areas and strangers who have lost loved-ones and possessions.


As a community the country has bonded together to try to help, but how do you really help these people. They have seen things that no-one should see, and they will never forget. At the moment they need money, and we have donated a number of different ways. I try to put myself in that position and think what I would need, then I want to give that to them, but at the moment charitable donations are more of a problem than a help.


To a point, our life needs to go on, but even the act of grocery shopping, or making a birthday present makes me feel guilty for those who have nothing, not to mention any frivoulous purchases. While reading others feelings of the fires, I found this from Fi's blog.It inspired me in ways to help longer term. The Handmade Help blog where it was posted is bringing communities together to help our fellow man. All of a sudden I knew how I could help - without being a burden. Our crafting group is full of knitters so we willg et started on some winter items - hats and scarfs, maybe even jumpers as it gets so cold in those mountains.


Talking with these girls helped me to deal with it a little better and our kinder community is underway to help other kinder communities in affected areas. Doing something, no matter how little, is much better than doing nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment