Saturday, February 21

Sadly, size matters

I was browsing today and tried on some jeans- they were on special for a good price at an outlet store so they looked like a bargain. I tried the size 12 and they went nowhere near me. I was not going back for the larger size.
Now being a dressmaker for a number of years, the majority of my clothes don't have sizes on them, but those that do vary from 8 - 16 from S to XL. I have tried them all on today - and started to purge those things that dont fit, I dont like and I wont wear. And while there is a bit more storage room, there are still 8s and still XL sitting side by side. What saddens me is the need for TWO piles. Yes, one of pants that fit and one of pants that dont.
Having children certainly messes with your body, and rather than lamenting the loss of my waist, it is the gaining of the flubber that is of more concern. The back fat that wasnt there before and the favorite jeans that used to fit, now with not only a muffin top, but one with cream icing hanging over the top!
There are four pairs of pants that do not fit. They used to fit but they cannot be worn because they look disgusting. It is not about the size on the label as the pants that dont fit are 10s and 12s but there is a miraculous pair of 8s that weren't even going to get a try on that actually look quite good. There was also a couple of 12s that were too big and went in the donation pile. This is why I know in my head that those little tags that tell us what size things are, really shouldn't matter, but in a lot of ways are a mental barrier to many of us.
I love my 'Trinny and Susannah', Tim Gunn and Gok so it was with a critical eye I looked if things actually fit and whether they also looked good. Some things were rediscovered, some were discarded to those in need and the biggest decision of all was made - Hi Ho, Hi Ho its off to gym I go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment