Sunday, February 8

Melting

Another gift to make as relief from the news that our state is literally on fire. I cant bear to watch any more news - its just too devestating. So, I needed to get creative.
I had to get a gift for a music lover, and had seen record bowls on the internet, so I thought I would give it a try. By simply typing how to make a record bowl into google, I got simple instructions and in under twenty minutes had two finished projects!
Step one - get records. I had to go to mums to get some to try. I didn't want to wreck something that they liked so I grabbed my own records. These were the first ones I bought with my own money - a whole $10 from Brashs- and you got one free. I still feel ripped off as they weren't original artists, but what sounds like some "Idol" singers singing your favorites (from 1984!) Burt was collected to scan and cover the record centre in case it worked- others wouldn't get the significance of my first album.

Step two - and this is the key - Turn an oven proof bowl UPSIDE down and place the record on the top and place in the oven (at about 200 degrees) for only a few minutes. (Alexander didn't even know what these things were!!!)
The record will quickly start to dip around the bowl. Now, you can either pull it out and mold it quite easily if you want an open style design. If you would like a bit more bowl shape, leave it in as it will start to hug the bowl - this may be slightly harder to remove. Once in a shape you like, set aside to cool.

Here is the finished project - the front one is a tight bowl, and the back one is more open. You have to remember they cant be bowls as they have a hole in them, however for chips etc they can be really fun. I stuck the burt record centres in to my bowl and gave the inside a quick coat with modpodge so it could be used for food. Hope she likes it. Oh, for the card I scanned the cover of the bacarach album to match. He is one of her all time favorites. Maybe I'll make some biscuits and wrap it all in cellophane, we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment