Tuesday, July 27

Lemonade Cake

For some reason I stumbled on this recipe for rainbow cake . I think I looked because I thought it was Jo's, but what caught my eye was not the colours but how it was made. It was a packet cake and lemonade. No egg, no dairy, no substitutes, just lemonade - 1.5 cups. I had to give this a go, and with a basic 75 cent vanilla cake and lemonade I made muffins with Spencer and they actually worked.
They probably need to be iced, and they don't rise a lot more than the mixture because all the rising happens when the lemonade mixes in. It kind of bubbles like an ice cream spider. They are cooked, and taste like and look like a sponge. I cook them as per the packets suggestion. My first batch were pretty sweet but the boys didn't complain. I have subsequently made another batch - this time in a loaf tin using ginger beer and it almost tastes like orange cake. Much better flavour. While this really isn't Master Chef or any fine dining experience, why I really like this concept is lots of the boys friends have severe allergies - anaphalaxis to eggs and dairy in particular. Assuming there was nothing ominous in the packet mix (which I need to investigate further) this could be a really cheap, quick and more importantly safe alternative for crappy celebration food for these kids. I don't think it is fattening, just really doesn't contain much 'food'

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what an interesting idea. Will have to give it a go! By the way - love the new look blog. Very pretty. x

    ReplyDelete