Sunday, February 21

A quilt

Sadly I am not a quilter. I appreciate them and while I am a sewer, the concept of a quilt is far too time consuming let alone the face I cannot use a rotary cutter, am not precise at all and can't choose the colours for a quilt (you know some people just have an amazing eye for that. Something that I would say looks ridiculous is the exact fabric that brings it together)
The other problem is explaining the whole concept to the big squirrel - I spend a fortune on fabric (seems I have expensive taste in patchwork fabric), cut it up into little pieces, put it back together, get more fabric for the back, not to mention wadding, and then often pay someone to quilt it for me. I know there are cheaper ways but I need longer to get my head around it - clothes are much more immediate and satisfying to me at the minute. (And easier to justify my fabric spend as money saved!)
Having said all of that - this post is actually about a quilt - that my mum made. It is larger than a cot quilt at about 150 x 165 cm (i think) it is all based on the five little monkeys rhyme and decorated using machine embroidery. I think it came up really well.I love the backing fabric - the red and white ticking. She quilted it herself just stitching in the ditch around all the joins. Apparently this design is available, but suggested in pastel colours, where she has used white, yellow is suggested but I love these colours together. Here is a closer look - you can actually easily read the verse on the quilt. Originally it was intended for my boys (she had initially planned to make 2!) but they are now three and a bit passed laying on a rug so she decided in her wisdom to finish one and give it away. Little Travis who is the recipient will get a lot of use out of it I am sure.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nic

    Love the quilt, your mum is a clever lady. I totally get the quilting thing but understand those that don't. Heading to your mum's shop to do a basic overlocking class on the 23rd March so may see her. Hope all is well with the school probs, hang in there.

    Gill (Rob's mum)

    ReplyDelete