Monday, February 22

Reconnect

Last week we made some major changes. I had left screaming boys at kinder when I got the call from school about Alexander. That was it - too much was happening with too few consequences and I new I had to take some major action. I spent my two full child free hours cleaning out every single toy in Alexander's room. The idea is that the toys are confiscated (they are stacked in our room) and he has to earn them back. If there is any serious bad behaviour (not just a little home altercation) then a toy is given away. We have never got to this stage but I am prepared to back it up. The other major change is the TV is off.
Over time the TV has been on much more than I like. The kids watch ABC or a DVD, but now with ABC 2 & 3 the problem is they have access to kids programming all day and the kids know this. Alexander is tired after school and the twins don't nap so it was often easier to sit them in from the the telly to ensure they had some quiet time - but no more.
We are now one week in to the new regime and I cannot believe the changes. We are all talking and actually doing things. The most dramatic change has been with Benji. He is talking more and playing more - and spending much less time in tanty town. Mum and I took them to do the grocery shopping (or weekly torture as it has been) but it was really almost pleasant. Now this change could also be due to kinder, but either way the change is miraculous. We are playing together, as are they - blocks, lego, dinosaurs, play doh and dress ups. The imaginative pay is my favourite. Spencer puts my gumboots on, with two bottle warmers on his hands as gloves and he is a spaceman and Benji is his dog!
Not only are the kids happier but I am too. (Although I did miss lost but I'll get over it). I am getting more done, the house is tidier, we are eating better and I actually get to participate in the play - rather than watching while I try to do other things. In this effort to slow down and enjoy things a little more I bought these retro phones. I only actually wanted on - to use - but the boys saw them and wanted to play with them too. So a deal was done and now I have three - two for play and one plugged in. Now we have to stand at the phone and actually dedicate some time to our caller. No wonder people didn't have mobiles when these dial phones were all we had - it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to dial the number!!

1 comment:

  1. well done nic, its hard making that change, so good on you. i need to folllow suit.

    ReplyDelete