Tuesday, July 15

Are you sleepy?

One of the ideas that has been bubbling away for a while and is in process is this.

Background - my girlfriend (a seasoned traveler) is off to Japan for work and I wanted to give her a gift. My thought was a groovy sleeping mask. I have seen a few around on Etsy and in magazines.
This is a picture of one from Etsy (I have lost the link - sorry to the seller.) I like the concept of eyes on the eye mask.

This led to the thought of 'manga' eyes. A japanese style cartoon where the girls traditionally have big eyes (think Astro boy). I thought I could screen print these on (or gocco like this!) So I found this video and started doing some sketches. I want some big happy eyes, so you look like you are having the time of your life while snoozing.

The first few attempts were dismal to say the least but they are getting closer to what I want.

The other feature of this mask is it is going to be a heat/cold pack. A bit of weight on it doesn't hurt either, but we have a heat pack dog which is filled with flax seed and lavender and I thought this would do the trick. I was also reminded of this from this post on RareBirds

The mask shape is from an old Burda magazine, but of course I can't find it now.

I am thinking of adding a bit of colour and maybe some beads. The thing about Manga eyes is all about the highlight - so I thought they could be beads - we will see how we go....

No comments:

Post a Comment